In this post, I have primarily focused on factors for effective Email Management that can boost the performance of email system and overcome the limitations of inaccessibility of mailbox items on cross- platform email client. We all know that email messaging is the most popular means for digital communication widely used at general and enterprise level, so do email clients that play a vital role in accessing email messages. We use different email client to access email messages as per our requirement. Based on client-server architecture, email client can be defined as an application that runs on individual PC or workstation and enables smooth email communication via sending, receiving and organizing e-mail. Email client store mailbox items like email messages, attachments, calendar and other mailbox items. Most of us configure our email accounts on different email clients like Gmail, Yahoo, Rediffmail and others to access our email messages.These email clients have native data storage file that works well in the same client but is not accessible on other different email client application.
Know about MBOX file
Mail Box abbreviated as MBOX is one such email storage format that stores email messages in plain text form in a single text file. This email format is used by many email clients like Entourage, Thunderbird, Spicebird, Apple Mail, Pocomail, Netscape, Incredimail, ClawsMail, OperaMail, MozillaMail, Evolution, Eudora, Sylpheed, Mulberry, SeaMonkey, etc.
What is PST file?
With the clear and simplified interface Microsoft’s built-in email application program MS Outlook offers vast enterprise-level options and efficiently syncs Contacts, Calendars and Notes seamlessly between Windows devices. PST most commonly known as Personal Storage Table is a personal information manager for Microsoft Outlook data storing emails, email attachments, to do items and appointments, contacts and more.
Why the need for conversion arise?
Whenever you are using Apple Mail or any different one, that accesses email messages in MBOX format personally or professionally for a prolong time, then you have accumulation of plenty of emails in your mailbox. This can lead to limitation in accessing crucial emails when you work on an entire different email client environment.
- Sometimes you are stuck in a situation when you change your organization and have to work on different email client’s environment like MS Outlook.
- You are on the verge of losing your crucial mails stored in MBOX file format when you have to work on MS Outlook that understands PST data file format.
- Other than this, migration from MBOX to PST enables the users to leverage on nice features, elegant simplified interface and flexible functioning of MS Outlook for business related email communication.
In order to make this situation favorable, you need to perform MBOX to PST conversion to access your mailbox items. Now we will look into an “MBOX mail to Outlook” manual process for converting MBOX files to PST format of MS Outlook. It is highly recommended that you keep a backup of your original MBOX files prior to performing this technique.
To proceed with the manual process at first you need to import all the mailbox data to an MBOX file.
- Launch Apple Mail on your system.
- Go to the File menu, click on Import Mailboxes… option.
- Select the program or file from which you want to import the data.
- Click on “Files in MBOX format” and then click Continue button.
- Now you can browse the location where the MBOX file is saved.
- You have to select the MBOX file in which you want to import. Click Choose.
- Now select the item(s) you want to import.
- Click Continue to continue the process.
- Once the process is done, click on Done tab.
- Now you can see the imported mailbox is located in the Import section of Apple Mail.
Now the whole process goes like this, as you cannot export the MBOX files directly to MS Outlook so you need to use Eudora for creation of the mailbox, then you need to use MS Outlook Express to import the messages, and after that in the final process you need to import the mailbox to MS Outlook from Outlook Express.
Firstly you have to install Eudora (Windows version) if it is not installed on your system.
Steps on Eudora:
- Append the MBOX file extension that was imported earlier. In case it is named “InboxMBOX”, rename it “InboxMBOX.mbx”.
- Now move this file, i.e. “InboxMBOX.mbx”, to the directory(C:Documents and Settings<user>Application Data\Qualcomm\Eudora) in which Eudora stores its files.
- Open Eudora on your system. In order to finalize creation of the mailbox, you need to double-click on the InboxMBOX.mbx file. After that you can close Eudora.
Steps on Outlook Express:
- Now Launch Outlook Express. Go to the File menu and click on Import > Messages….
- Then select Eudora from the list and click on Next.
- Browse the location in which you have moved the InboxMBOX.mbx file, and then click on OK.
- Click on Next Tab> Next again and then Finish.
- You can find the imported mailbox in the Local Folders section of Outlook Express.
Steps on MS Outlook:
- Now open MS Outlook on your system, click on File tab > Open.
- Click on Import section to go to Import and Export Wizard.
- Select Import Internet Mail and Addresses from the list and click on Next.
- Select the Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x or Windows Mail option. The Import Mail option given there should be checked. Click on Next.
- Now find the imported mailbox in Outlook. It would be located in Outlook Today – [Personal Folders].
Common downside of manual process
- This manual process works well when we are not bounded by any time limitation as manual process is always a time consuming process that can cost on your precious time.
- Thinking about the manual way to convert MBOX to PST, when you are stuck with a situation to converting many email accounts, does not sound too good.
- Also this manual procedure fits fine for different people, like it goes well with IT professional but becomes troublesome for complete novice ones with limited computer technical knowledge.
- Now another thing is that free way is not suited when we have corrupted MBOX file to be converted into PST format.
- Through manual process we can often lose data, as it does not maintain the integrity of the original file structure.
Is any MBOX converter commercial-ware a right solution?
Yes, in this situation we can resort to some third-party MBOX to PST converter tool for migrating MBOX files into PST format. MBOX to PST converter is windows based utility created by developers that is enriched with some useful features that can convert MBOX mail to Outlook in just no time. With add-ons like converting normal as well as corrupted apple mail to PST it can also save MBOX files data in multiple file formats like EML, PST, MSG, RTF and HTML formats.
Also Read: How to Recover SQL Database Password?